The IT Support team maintains a company’s computer network, providing technical support and ensuring the whole company runs smoothly. IT Support professionals will monitor and maintain the company computer systems, installing, configuring and solving technical problems.
- Installing and configuring computer hardware, software, systems, networks, printers and scanners
- Monitoring and maintaining computer systems and networks
- Responding in a timely manner and providing technical support across the company (this may be in person or over the phone)
- Setting up accounts for new users
- Repairing and replacing equipment as necessary
- Testing new technology
- Possibly training junior staff members
Although a formal degree might not always be necessary in an IT Support role, graduates with relevant degrees may get a competitive edge. This may include the following:
- Computer science
HDI, the professional association created for the technical support industry, has a number of online courses that can aid anyone looking to kickstart a career in technical support.
There will also be a number of qualities IT Support professionals will be expected to display:
- A technical, logical thought process
- Problem-solving skills
- An ability to stick to strict deadlines
- An ability to prioritise and delegate
- A keen eye for detail
Because of the nature of the job, some companies will require their IT Support professionals to undertake shift work. Also worth noting is the occasionally physical nature of the role as you may have to lift and carry heavy equipment.
Please note, this is an average across various industries. To compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your sector, visit our salary calculator.
Search for IT support jobs in Hong Kong below:
Browse through our current list of IT support jobs in Hong Kong below, or contact a Robert Half recruitment consultant to discuss further opportunities.