Assistant Accountant Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Assistant Accountant and Finance and accounting trends.
The Assistant Accountant provides support to the senior accountant and wider finance team by helping to prepare financial statements, accounts, budgets, processing invoices and preparing VAT returns.
Assistant Accountants are also a key member of the finance team who are responsible for the finalisation of month-end and year-end accounts.
Assistant Accountant duties and responsibilities of the job
The role is hugely instrumental in helping the finance team make decisions about what will ultimately improve business performance.
An Assistant Accountant job description generally includes:
- Supporting the Senior/Managing Accountant and wider finance team
- Collaborating with the finance team to work on various accounting projects
- Performing reconciliations of accounts
- Processing payments and invoices accurately and within expected time periods
- Verifying financial statements, ledgers and accounts and making corrections where appropriate
- Preparing profit and loss accounts sheets
- Preparing VAT return
- Preparing the yearly budget
- Taking minutes in meetings and other administrative duties
Assistant Accountant job qualifications and requirements
Although a Bachelor’s degree isn’t a requirement, it may be advantageous in helping candidates secure a career in accounting or finance, of which an Assistant Accountant is generally the first step. Degrees in the following industries may work especially in jobseekers' advantage:
An Assistant Accountant job description should also highlight the following skills.
- The ability to produce accurate financial reports
- Excellent attention to detail
- Discretion as there will likely be sensitive information and figures discussed
- The ability to work to strict time constraints
- The ability to prioritise work
- An organised and methodical approach to a task
An Assistant Accountant is unlikely to be expected to have a huge amount of experience and is likely to get a lot of on-the-job training.