Sitting within the IT team, a person employed in Application Support is responsible for managing the resolution of application and system issues that arise across a business.
Application Support jobs seek candidates with both business skills and technical IT knowledge, and demands an ability to manage multiple high-level tasks under pressure.
What are the duties and responsibilities of Application Support?
Application Support jobs are often responding to technical problems that occur abruptly and require immediate solutions. Knowing this, the following duties and responsibilities are generally included in an Application Support job description:
- Possessing specialist knowledge of operating systems, devices, applications and software
- Providing technical support to teams within the organisation, and to external clients when required
- Assisting with systems integrations
- Managing ticketed query system and ensuring comprehensive database of queries and resolutions is kept up to date
- Maintaining and updating technical documents and procedures
- Identifying and resolving technical issues
- Managing coordination at a local and international level where required
- Delivering regular and customised training to teams within the business
- Preparing maintenance plans and upgrading schedules for the organisation’s systems
- Developing reports for teams across the business
What qualifications and experience should Application Support have?
Most Application Support jobs ask for one or more university qualifications or other formal training to be eligible for the role. Here are some of the most suitable degrees:
- Computing Studies
- Information Systems
- Business Administration
Other skills that are relevant to this role, and sometimes asked for in an Application Support job description include:
- Intimate knowledge of an organisation’s computing systems
- Ability to explain complex ideas to those with limited IT and systems knowledge
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Listening ability and patience
- Extraordinary customer service and relationship management experience
- Critical thinking skills
Application Support Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Application Support and Financial Services trends.