The IT Support team maintains the computer networks of all types of organisations, providing technical support and ensuring the whole company runs smoothly.
IT Support monitors and maintains the company computer systems, installs and configures hardware and software, and solves technical problems. Because of the nature of the job, some companies may require their IT Support to undertake shift work.
IT Support duties and responsibilities of the job
When compiling an IT Support job description, here is a selection of duties to include:
- Installing and configuring computer hardware, software, systems, networks, printers and scanners
- Monitoring and maintaining computer systems and networks
- Responding in a timely manner to service issues and requests
- Providing technical support across the company (this may be in person or over the phone)
- Setting up accounts for new users
- Repairing and replacing equipment as necessary
- Testing new technology
- Possibly training more junior staff members
IT Support job qualifications and requirements
Although a formal degree might not always be necessary in an IT Support role, tertiary qualifications can include the following:
- Computer Science
There are also a number of qualities that candidates should be expected to display:
- A technical, logical thought process
- Problem-solving skills
- An ability to stick to strict deadlines
- An ability to prioritise and delegate
- A keen eye for detail
Also worth noting is the occasionally physical nature of the role as they may have to lift and carry heavy equipment.
Are you looking for an IT Support role? View our latest IT Support jobs here.