Systems Administrator Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Systems Administrator and IT and Technology trends.
A Systems Administrator is responsible for the smooth, timely configuration and maintenance of an organisation’s computer systems. The role usually sits within the IT department but works closely with a number of teams throughout the business to ensure unified performance and operation.
A Systems Administrator job description must highlight the need for thorough technical knowledge, as well as an ability to work independently, whilst manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Systems Administrator duties and responsibilities of the job
As a role charged with maintaining computing systems that entire organisations rely upon, a Systems Administrator job description should consist of many diverse responsibilities. In addition to the below duties, a Systems Administrator may be required to work outside standard hours to ensure system maintenance:
- System monitoring
- New accounts set-up and active directory administration
- Design new computer systems system and server performance
- Run reports on system performance for team and wider organisation
- Optimise processes and lead process improvement
- Manage staff and user credentials and frameworks
- Troubleshoot technical issues
- Create and implement training for staff
- Coordinate and provide support for Firewall and network system
- Ensure systems are secure and protected from breach or viruses
- Risk mitigation planning
Systems Administrator job qualifications and requirements
A Systems Administrator job description may ask for formal qualifications in the below fields.
- Computing Studies
- Information Systems
- Mathematics and Information Engineering
- Business Administration
Completion of recognised certifications may also be of value to a Systems Administrator role. Some of these include:
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Oracle Certified Associate (OCA)
There are some key soft skills that are critical to success to this role, and may be asked for in a Systems Administrator job description:
- High-level problem-solving skills
- Analytical and critical thinking capabilities
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Are you looking for a Systems Administrator role? View our latest Systems Administrator jobs here.