Faced with an ever-increasing cyber security threat, organisations need to maintain a vigilant approach to protect their systems and data, and Security Engineers play a key role in this process.
Security Engineers can be responsible for a number of functions associated with IT security - from ensuring the security of software through to selecting and/or constructing and deploying broader network security systems.
As a Security Engineer you can be responsible for completing a thorough risk assessment, identifying vulnerabilities within a network and creating firewalls, or configuring systems to enhance existing security features.
Security Engineers are expected to respond to, and document, any security threats, resolve technical faults and allocate resources to deliver real solutions in a cost-effective way.
- Understand complex technical issues and how they can be managed within a fast-paced business environment
- Maintain all the software and hardware in relation to security
- Document security certification
- Identify current and emerging technology issues including security trends, vulnerabilities and threats
- Threat intelligence
- Sourcing and implementing new security solutions to better protect the organisation
- Conduct proactive research to analyse security weaknesses and recommend appropriate strategies
- Liaise with vendors to implement security solutions
Holding an IT-related degree and a technical background is essential for a Security Engineer role. Individual organisations may have additional requirements for a Security Engineer, including security certifications such as CISSP, GISP, and CISM.
As well as formal qualifications, candidates will also need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Expertise across a variety of security products including firewalls, URL filtering, information security and virus protection
- The commercial acumen to provide cost-effective security solutions
- An enthusiasm for staying up to date with the very latest in security threats and solutions
- Outstanding communication skills that go beyond “tech talk” allowing you to explain complex IT matters to those without an IT background
- Strong time management and organisational skills
- Previous exposure to Linux and/or Windows Operating Systems, coding languages, and/or Networks
Please note, this is an average across various industries. To compare your salary, and receive data on salaries for your sector, visit our salary calculator.
Search for security engineer jobs in Hong Kong below:
Browse through our current list of security engineer jobs in Hong Kong below, or contact a Robert Half recruitment consultant to discuss further opportunities.