Security Engineer Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Security Engineer and IT and Technology trends.
Faced with an ever-increasing cyber-security threat, organisations need to maintain a vigilant approach to protect their systems and data, and Security Engineers play a key role in this process. Security Engineers can be responsible for a number of functions associated with IT security - from ensuring the security of software, through to selecting and/or constructing and deploying broader network security systems.
Security Engineer duties and responsibilities of the job
A Security Engineer performs analyses of system security needs and contributes to design, integration, and installation of hardware and software. A Security Engineer job description should include an understanding of complex technical issues and experience managing them within a fast-paced business environment. They must also be able to:
- Identify and define system security requirements
- Maintaining all the software and hardware in relation to security
- Documenting security certification
- Identifying current and emerging technology issues including security trends, vulnerabilities and threats intelligence
- Sourcing and implementing new security solutions to better protect the organisation
- Conducting proactive research to analyse security weaknesses and recommend appropriate strategies
- Liaising with vendors to implement security solutions
Security Engineer job qualifications and requirements
Holding an IT-related degree and a technical background is essential for a Security Engineer role. As well as formal qualifications, a Security Engineer job description should include the following background:
- Expertise across a variety of security products including firewalls, URL filtering, information security and virus protection
- The commercial acumen to provide cost-effective security solutions
- An enthusiasm for staying up to date with the very latest updates about security threats and solutions
- Previous exposure to Linux and/or Windows Operating Systems, coding languages, and/or Networks
- Certificates in CCNA/ CCNP, JNCIE/ JNCIP is an advantage
- Security Certificates in CISM, CISA, CISSP, ISO27000 / 27001 is an advantage
Are you looking for a Security Engineer role? View our latest Security Engineer jobs here.